Chopped eggplant and zucchini.
Ready for mixing.
Large drops of dairy free cream cheese.
Half way through baking, added some cheddar on the right side.
Dairy cheese always goes on the right side in my house.
Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole
Zucchini and eggplant cooked in fire roasted tomato sauce for a scrumptious main meal or side dish.
1 small and 1 medium chopped zucchini
1/2 chopped onion
8-10 leaves chiffonaded basil
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can of fire roasted tomato sauce or tomatoes (I used Muir Glenn)
2 tbs. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese (optional - tho, not in our house tho)
- Cut all the veggies about the same size for even cooking and place in a large bowl.- Mince the garlic and add to the veggies.
- Chiffonade the basil and add to the bowl, along with salt and pepper.
- Next add the EVOO and mix everything together.
- Pour everything in an 8 x 8 baking dish (sorry, you have to wash two dishes)
- Add some large drops of cream cheese all over the top.
- Take a piece of foil large enough to cover the dish, spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 1/2 hour with foil on, then another 1/2 hour with foil off. Can add optional cheddar at this point - I only put it on one half since I am dairy free.
- Serve warm.
I hope you try my recipe. If you do, Please let me know how it came out.
I always welcome friendly critiques and comments or questions. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Please feel free to leave a message here or email if you prefer. If you leave a message here, please be sure that your email address is sited so you can receive my response. Thanks!