Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Frozen Strawberry Dessert Recipe

I LOVE ice cream - I love all that creamy goodness in a little cup, and who doesn't? I used to enjoy having a small amount of vanilla ice cream after dinner, but the last time I did, my body didn't like it. There are many who can't digest it well and have sadly not been able to enjoy it anymore. If you are one of those people, I've come up with a great solution that I think works great as a substitute for ice cream. Here's what I do.



I take frozen organic strawberries, almond milk or any milk will do, and canned whipped cream (yes, I said canned), optional sweetner. I use a mini food chopper, a very well loved food chopper, but you can use a blender if you like - the consistency will just be different.

First, I take 6 to 8 strawberries (package says 1 cup is the serving size, but 6 to 8 is fine for me - I look for the biggest ones), cut them in quarters, then place them in the food chopper.




I add some milk, not too much, you don't want a milk shake (you want to keep some of the frozen goodness after processing it). Add your optional sweetner if using - I don't use any. I tried honey, but because the berries are frozen, the honey gummed up my chopper blade. I just use the little bit of sweetness from the whipped cream.




I process it till it looks almost slushy, still a bit frozen - you can leave it however chunky you want adding a little (just a little, I said) more milk if need to.




I then spritz some whipped cream into the bottom of a mug, pour in the frozen goodness and spritz more whipped cream on top. If you have some fresh, organic strawberries, chop that up to sprinkle on top - blueberries are great. Sliced or slivered almonds are wonderful as a topping too. Dark chocolate shavings would make a yummy topping. Get creative.

To eat, I just mix it all together and have at it. The texture and consistency is just like eating ice cream, it's sorbet like - cold, creamy and a little sweet from the whipped cream. I have just the right amount I need - no worries about eating too much, altho you can't go wrong with eating strawberries mushed up in some milk, can you? This would work great with other berries or fruits, peaches would probably work great - **note to self, buy some organic peaches**.

So if you're avoiding your beloved ice cream for whatever reason, give my recipe a try - I know you'll love it as much as I do.

Enjoy!!


Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this recipe or any of my other posts. Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy. I love desserts. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

Take the Dessert Personality Test and find out your personality on the basis of your favorite dessert. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

Faith said...

I'm sure you'll love it Lisa. Thanks!