Thursday, January 10, 2013

CD Visor Holder

 For Christmas, I got 4 cd's that I had asked for. Altho I like music, I was never one for buying cd's, I always listened to the radio. Only in the last several years have I really indulged and actually bought stuff I like to listen to - kinda sad, I know.


Since my cd collection is now growing, I decided I need one of those cd visor holder thingy - and of course, I didn't want to get one of those generic black holders, I had to design it and sew it! I do have one of those small book type holders where the cd's sit in a sleeve, but it can be a nuisance trying to use it when you're driving (I know you're not suppose to do stuff like that when you're driving, but hey, we all do it).

In doing my research, all of the tutorials had straight pockets. Kind of plain, I thought - so I designed my pockets to be semi-circular. I chose 5 fabrics in red, since my Jeep is red and I alternated the pockets. I just happened to have the red polka dotted seam binding in my stash (from a gsale), so I thought it would be a nice compliment to the mostly red and white fabrics I chose. 



I do have a mirror on the inside of my visor, so I had to compensate for that with the elastic. The interior of my car is gray, so I dyed the elastic gray so that when you're looking at it when the visor is up, the gray elastic would compliment and not contrast the visor.



I used one of these cd holders as a template for my pocket. I just used a plate and cut the semi-circular top.



I measured my visor and figured on 8 pockets, spaced 1 inch apart. 



 Here is a close up of the elastic.



I really lucked out with the binding. I did have solid red, but when I saw the polka dots and how they complimented everything else, I knew that's what I had to use. 



Here is how my visor looks - that white patch is covering a vinyl note from the manufacture telling me something I should know. In trying to cover it up the previous owner messed it up and when I tried to cover it, the glue made things look bad . . .



Well, it doesn't look bad anymore! 



 Action shot!! I love that pop of red against the gray interior!



Here is how it looks when the visor is down - see the complimenting elastic?



Mirror in use.



All in all, I think it came out pretty good - I love the semi-circular pocket design. I might make more of these to sell. The best part of this whole project is that I didn't spend a penny, I had everything on hand - that's the best kind of project to make.


So, what do you think of my new cd visor holder?


Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while.Take a look at my fashion illustrations and art:
http://decorvilla.ca/category/wine-holders-and-cd-holders/

Faith said...

Those are cool Amelie. Sadly, this CD holder I made was recently lost - I believe it feel out of my car and a bunch of my CD's went along with it. Thank you.