Monday, August 19, 2013

A Bag Pouch

I have made a couple "fanny packs" for me in the past, they were basically wallets with a belt and they were very useful and serviceable. I loved them during the winter when a bag and a bulky jacket were just too much, plus I love the hands free option.
They both have pockets for my cards and the outside pocket on the one on the right is for my cell phone. Money just sits inside at the bottom.


Back in 2009 I had a job where I was up and down a lot - sit at the desk, then get up to do stuff. In the beginning to help me remember all the things I had to do, I made this pouch:
It had the fanny pack concept, but I made a pouch large enough to hold a steno note pad for all my notes - I also made a little pocket in front to hold the remote radio we used to communicate between each other.


When I didn't need my note book any more, I converted the pouch into a little bag - it was just enough to hold my pursellet sideways, my cell went in the front pocket.



Lately, I've been thinking on that pouch concept and wanted to take it further. I started yesterday and finished it today.



This is the view looking inside. I made it to hold my pursellet and I made inside back pockets to hold my cell phone and my camera (that gray phone on the right is just for show - I was using my camera to take pics).



This is looking down at it without holding it open - not bulky at all. I thought of putting a snap for a closure, but I really don't need it, it's so close to my body nothing can fall out nor can anybody steal anything.



This is where the front meets the strap. I used large split rings, I wanted the strap to be a little articulated and the split rings work perfectly. The fanny pack straps I've made in the past weren't articulated and there was a little stress in that area.



Here is the back view - a little crooked as I took this pic myself.



Here I am sitting down - it doesn't get in the way.



Here - I am wearing a short jacket.



This is a side profile - I made the bottom 2 inches wide to accommodate what I want to carry. 



There no room for other stuff (well maybe a pen), but that's the way I wanted it. I like to just drop and go when I use my bag and this will be perfect. I am so pleased at how this turned out - I just took the blue bag that used to be a pouch and turned it on it's side and took it from there. I am thinking tho, it could use some color at the top edge, maybe a border of red? I don't know - I'll think about it, but it's pretty cool huh?

Thanks for reading!!


08/21/13 Update: I did add a strip of red to the top - I think it makes it look better. What do you think?


Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Thanks!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Do you have a tutorial for the fanny packs? I love 'em!!

Lourdes said...

Nice bag!! Is there a tutorial?