Friday, May 13, 2016

Cashew Butter Teff Cookies

These cookies made with teff flour and cashew butter are soooo good. I have made these once before - and they were delicious, and because they're small, you can have two or three and not feel guilty about it. These cookies are a riff of this recipe I found.



They bake for only 15 minutes, and brown evenly. One batch makes A LOT - so this would be great for bake sales or cookie swaps.


They have just the right amount of sweetness using maple syrup.


They crunch slightly, they don't crumble - they hold together real well.


I doubled up about two cookies to make four bigger ones. I will make some dairy free ice cream this weekend and make ice cream sandwiches for me - yum!


To get started, first you have to make your cashew butter. Of course you can buy cashew butter in the store, but why would you do that when it's so expensive? Plus you don't know how long it's been sitting on the store shelf and in a warehouse before delivery. 


Raw cashews are cheap, especially if you can buy them in bulk. This recipe takes no time to make and you have fresh cashew butter. You can add a sweetener if not using it in a recipe, but for cookies, I like to leave them unsweetened. My recipe makes the perfect amount of cashew butter for these cookies. I followed this recipe to make my cashew butter. I've done this many times with sunflower seeds, and they turned out great.

After making the butter, just follow the recipe to make the cookies - it is that easy. All the ingredients for these cookies can be found at a natural food store or any store that sells dried food in bulk. You could also find these in a regular grocery store. 


Print Recipe


How to Make Cashew Butter
1 1/3 c Raw cashews
2-4 tbs Coconut oil
1-2 tsp of honey - optional if not using in a recipe

- Place cashews in a food processor and turn on. Let process until you see it come together. 
- Add coconut oil 2 tablespoons at a time and continue to process until it comes together. 
 - Use immediately or store in an air tight container in cool place away from the sun. Do not place in refrigerator, they will harden.

 Based on www.tessadomesticdiv.com/2012/09/homemade-sunflower-seed-butter-extra-creamy.html


Print Recipe


Cashew Butter Teff Cookies
Cookies made with cashew butter and teff flour. They are vegan = gluten free, dairy free, egg free and sugar free. Yields 45 small cookies.

1 1/2 c Teff flour
1/2 tsp Sea salt
1/2 c Coconut oil
1/2 c Maple syrup
1 tsp Vanilla
1 c Cashew butter

- Mix together flour and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. 
- Melt the coconut oil in a large bowl. 
- Combine the coconut oil with the remaining ingredients with a mixer. When well blended, add the dry ingredients. 
- Use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon measuring spoon and drop by rounded spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet. They do not spread, so you can put them close together. I used the palm of my hand to flatten, and used a fork to put the iconic tine marks on top . 
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. 

Based on http://www.freshbitesdaily.com/teff-peanut-butter-cookies/



These Cookies are great when you just need a little something sweet to cap off a delicious meal. I hope you try my recipe, I'm sure you like these as much as I do.

Happy Baking and thanks for reading!!


I always welcome friendly critiques and comments or questions. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Please feel free to leave a message here or email if you prefer. If you leave a message here, please be sure that your email address is sited so you can receive my response. Thanks!

No comments: