Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easy Fried Noodle Dinner

I love rice noodles. They are so simple to cook up and can be used in a variety of dishes. I have come up with a great recipe that you can have for lunch or dinner and most of the ingredients is made up of what you have in the frig. What's nice about using packaged noodles is portion size. If you are watching your calories, this gives you the perfect amount, plus whenever I cook this, I like to put in a lot of veggies which ups the nutrition factor (if cooking for more than 1, use 1 package per person). This recipe is more of a method then a recipe - you use whatever you have. I seem to make a lot of my recipes with whatever I have on hand - I guess you can call that being resourceful.

Leftover meat or a couple of pieces of lunch meat
Veggies of choice
1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. tumeric
Granulated garlic & onion
Salt & pepper
Chicken stock/broth
1 or 2 eggs (optional)

Open up your package of Thai Kitchen Rice Noodle Soup and throw out seasoning packet. Yes, I said throw it out - take a look at the sodium content on the back of the package, it's high - you will be adding your own flavor of choice to this dish.

Leave the rice noodles in the package, crush it up and place in a small pot of boiling water - boil for a couple of minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.

The veggies I used are chard, squash and onions - a weird mix, but I like eating whatever I have. You use whatever you have or whatever you like to eat.

First, fry up the whatever takes the longest to cook. In my case, it was the onions, chopped chard stems, and squash.

When softened add your meat then the chard leaves.

Next, add your seasoning - I used curry and tumeric because I grabbed the Bangkok Curry flavor package (which is very good), but you can use any seasoning you like - chili powder, cumin, teriyaki (watch the salt if using bottled sauce), etc. Add some granulated garlic and onion and throw in some salt and pepper (you won't be using as much salt as that seasoning packet you just threw out).

Add in some chicken stock to get up some of the fried up goodness from your pan, (trust me, there will be fried goodness, your pan will be fairly dry) and incorporate your seasonings - don't add too much stock, you don't want soup here. Turn your heat to low.

In the meantime, boil some water in a small pan and boil your noodles for a couple of minutes - try to time it so when the noodles are done, you can just put it in the pan with the meat and veggies.

At this point, you would crack your eggs, if using (I chose no eggs this time), directly on top the meat and noodle mixture and stir everything together till eggs are cook. Serve hot.

If you wanted don't like rice noodles, you could use regular ramen noodles or pasta even - there is nothing hard and fast with my method of cooking.


Enjoy!!!


Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this recipe or any of my other posts. Thanks!

No comments: