Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pizza Sauce Sauce Recipe

The odd name for this recipe comes from the leftover pizza sauce in it. About 4 days ago, we had make-your-own pizza. I bought Pillsbury pizza dough for Jim and Heather and I made a 6" one of this recipe. I used cooked quinoa flakes instead of hummus so the flavor would be on the plain side. I made my own pizza sauce using this recipe as my inspiration - I used Italian seasoning and a regular can of tomato sauce.

I had bought some really good ground turkey from a natural food store. I asked Jim what he would like, meatballs or patties - he decided on patties. In planning out what I was going to make, I remembered the leftover pizza sauce and thought about making a sauce from it. Here is what I did:




I cut up some onions, maybe 1/3 of a cup. I chopped 4 crimini mushrooms and I chopped some leftover turkey pepperoni.

I sprayed a non stick pan with oil and sauteed the 3 ingredients, I also added some garlic granules and pepper. After it all softened, I added about 1 tablespoon of arrowroot to thicken the sauce and stirred it in. I poured in about 1/3 of a cup of unsalted chicken stock and cook till thickened scraping the bottom of the pan - I just wanted to loosen everything up and get the good stuff off the bottom of the pan. I added about 1/2 of a cup of the leftover pizza sauce and cooked it to the consistency I liked (doesn't take long).




It came out pretty good, tho I had put in too much red pepper flakes in the pizza sauce and this sauce was a little on the spicy side. It was interesting to have chunks of pepper in the sauce, it really added great texture and flavor. It was wonderful on top of the turkey patties.


Quinoa, mac salad, a turkey patty and a lot of sauce

So, next time you have leftover pizza sauce, don't let it sit in the frig, make a sauce out of it, I bet you'll like it too.

Happy Cooking!!



Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Thanks!


No comments: