Friday, March 30, 2012

My New Bag



For several years now, when spring arrives, I make myself a new bag. I do this because I love to make bags and the best way to show what I do is to carry what I make. When people ask me what I do, I just show them my bag and say, "I make stuff like this," and that usually impresses them.

Year ago, I designed this bag. I don't remember where the inspiration came from, but this is what I made. This was probably the bag that launched my designing process. The front and back was a fabric placemat or napkin and the solid pieces came from a woman's gaucho pants, I found both pieces for real cheap at a thrift store.


I used velcro for a closure.


The strap is narrower than the side piece.
Doesn't look good.

In deciding what my new bag for this year would be, I came across this old one and I realized that I really liked this design. It's very simple and I even made a zippered pocket in the front. I decided to replicate this and really like how it turned out.


I used red for the lining and usually, my pockets are the same color as the main fabric, but in this case, I wanted the lining all red so it would stand out. I also made a large inner pocket to hold stuff, I didn't make an inner pocket for the old bag.  


I put in hidden magnets at the top to hold everything secure.


This time, I made the straps the same size as the side pieces, so it looks more cohesive. The rectangle metal piece really adds a nice touch.


Well, in using the bag for a couple of weeks, I realized that the hidden magnet was a bother. This magnet is strong, and every time I let go, it shut automatically. Every time I needed to open the bag, I needed 2 hands - I like to have easy access to my stuff. So, I took the bag apart and put in heavy duty snaps. I used a black sharpie to color the silver snap in the back and need to get a red sharpie to color the snaps on the inside. Also, I fixed the pockets - I sewed part of it so my cell phone would have its own place (the front pocket was too big for it). I also added a pen pocket to one side.
Much better!


I also made a matching purse - this is my Pursellet, something I designed years ago. It holds everything, coins, bills, and cards. I like to be matchy matchy.


So, this is my new bag for 2012.  My only problem is that the black fabric is attracting a lot of lint (not very pleasant to look at). I've tried rubbing a dryer sheet on the bag and even dampened the bag and threw it in the dryer - neither worked. Anyone know how to handle lint on black fabric? 

I really like this design so much that I've decided to make more to sell. I like the contrast of the solid and print fabric, I think others will like it too. 

Thanks for reading!!

Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Thanks!

No comments: