Back in June, but I made this bag:
It's this same bag pattern of mine - except this time, I made it slightly bigger so it could hold my checkbook. The problem was that I made it slightly too big - whenever the bag fell over, which was often, my cell phone and camera would always fall out. I also made the inside pockets of the matching pursellet slightly bigger and whenever it fell over, my cards and things would fall out too. It got to be too annoying, so I just decided to make a new one with the original dimensions.
And here it is:
Outside zippered pocket,
Looking from the top. Inside pockets are cell phone, camera, pen, keys.
Cell phone pocket.
Camera pocket (I'm using my camera)
Outside back pocket for my coupons and papers - sooo handy.
In deciding what shade of gray to use for the side, I really wanted a darker gray, but my fabric store had been out of this darker gray for a while.
So I did what I do best and dyed my own dark gray fabric (take note of that dark splotch in the center).
After dyeing the fabric, I didn't think it was dark enough and was contemplating not using it, but I had no other choice.
I think it came out pretty good. The dots are distressed and the straps look pretty distressed too. I think that's what makes this bag cool.
Remember that dark splotch in the center of the fabric?
I used it for the bottom - no one will see it, but I know it's there and think it's a cool element.
I did have sizing issues on this too - I actually had to take this apart and sew the pockets smaller.
Here is what the finished pockets look like - see the center, the pockets were too big by 1/2 inch on each side. don't know if I can fit anything in there because of the snap - but that's ok, the pockets the right size.
Not too bad huh? I just love it.
Of course, if you know me, I am the matchy matchy girl. So I made a matching purselett.
I was thinking that maybe that center gray was too wide, but no, that is the feature of this set - the dyed fabric.
The beaded zipper pull - my signature design.
Here is the making of one of the inside pockets - my idea to put a smaller pocket in front for my extra keys, you should always carry your spare keys in your wallet or purse - just in case.
I made the boxed corner slightly larger - it was hard to get to my change.
The pursellet pockets were too big too, so instead of taking the entire thing apart, I just undid one seam and used embroidery backstitching.
I dyed the wood bead the right color to match the zipper and the lining.
I even dyed white embroidery floss because I didn't have the right shade of rust.
So there is my my new bag and matching pursellet. I hope you enjoyed reading about my creative process. I'd love to know what you think about my new bag and pursellet.
Thanks for reading!!
I always welcome friendly critiques and comments or questions. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Please feel free to leave a message here or email if you prefer. If you leave a message here, please be sure that your email address is sited so you can receive my response. Thanks!