Friday, January 27, 2012

Templates for Cutting Out Paper Designs

Crafting with paper can be fun. Especially with the hundreds of scrapbooking paper available today, you can be sure to find a design you’re looking for. Sometimes tho, you may just want a small section of a large sheet. It can be difficult to select a design from a larger sheet if the sheet is filled with different patterns. I have devised a tool you can make yourself to help you in selecting that perfect design for your project.


Here is a 12 x 12 sheet of scrapbook paper. I would like to take one of those flowers to use in my design, but with all the other colors and patterns surrounding the flower, it's hard for me to see how the flower alone would look in my design.   




Here is my tool - basically the same shape as your base cut out of card stock, but 1/8" - 1/4" larger.



Here is my base: a 2" circle cut out from a formica chip sample.

Making this tool is easy. To cut out a circle, I have a Martha-Stewart Simple Circle Cutter or you can just find a circular shape that's a little larger than your base. Cut out your shape, leaving a boarder of at least 1/2" or so - you want to have a large enough border to break the large pattern on the paper and make it easier for you to see your design. I always mark my template as to what size it is, mine is 2 1/4".


 Now you can use your tool to isolate designs on large papers. Place your tool over your design and if you like what you see.


Trace around your shape. 














Cut out with a craft knife.
















To center your design, coat the back of your design with glue, then hold your design against your base and hold up to a window or use a light box to see exactly where you want to place your design. Because the glue is still wet, you can shift the design into place. Cut the edges to the shape and finished as desired.





Here is another tool I've used time and time again. 














This also works with fabric - this is a hand dyed bookmark. 











This can also work with rubber stamping or other any craft where you need to see how a design would look on a particular base. So you see, you can cut out any design from a large piece of paper using my home made tool.

Happy Cutting!!!

Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this tip or any of my other posts. Thanks!


No comments: