Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Creamy Chicken with Chard Soup Recipe

**I am sorry - the pics for this post was accidentally deleted and cannot be retrieved**


What started out to be corn chowder, turned out to be this wonderful soup. With the weather starting to turn cold in the evenings, I thought soup would be appropriate. Jim said, "We haven't had corn chowder in a while." Then he started talking about the chicken and rice casserole made with cream of mushroom soup that I used to make. Well, one thought led to an another and this recipe was born. It was simple and easy to make - it was very comforting, the flavors all melded together, and was very yummy. My daughter, Heather, was over doing her laundry, so there wasn’t much in the way of leftovers. Next time, I will have to make a larger pot of this soup.

Creamy Chicken with Chard Soup Recipe

2 slices of bacon
½ onion
1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves
½ package of sliced creminis (broke into half)
3 chopped chard stems
¼ c. arrowroot powder
½ c. milk of choice (I used almond milk)
3 c. chicken stock (I used unsalted and add my own salt)
½ c. heavy cream
1 large bay leaf
½ tsp. dried thyme
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
3 large chard leaves, chopped

Fry up the bacon with the onion, garlic cloves, shrooms, chard stems till soft. Add arrowroot powder and all liquids. Then add bay leaf, thyme and other seasonings. As soup starts to heat up, add in chard leaves. Serve when soup is a little thick and hot. Gluten free garlic biscuits or regular garlic toast are a yummy accompaniment with this soup.

I was initially going to put in french cut green beans, but since I had the chard, I figured it would work better and I was right - spinach or arugula would work too. The cream I had in my frig or else I would've bumped up the milk to a full cup. Next time I will saute the chard leaves before putting in the seasonings.

This recipe was a hit and as Jim is scraping the bottom of the pot, he says, “You have to make this again.”

Enjoy!!



No comments: