Thursday, July 11, 2013

Cutting My Own Hair

I've been needing a hair cut for a long time, a trim actually. The last cut I got was a medium length bob a while ago. My hair has changed within the last couple of years - it has thinned out more and the body and memory it used to have is gone. I do have about 3 permanent waves in my hair and if it's cut too short, they are very noticeable. My hair will not lie flat and the waves are very prominent - I don't like it. This last bob cut was nice, but it was short enough to notice the waves. I tried to grow it out and it took forever (longer hair is heavier and weighs down the waves) It's finally grown several inches, the ends are thin and needed a definite trim - the lack of funds have prevented me from doing that. So, being a do-it-yourself girl, I decided to get creative again.

Back in 2000 when my hair was shorter, several girls in the office I worked at were cutting their own hair, so I jumped on the bandwagon. I just grabbed my hair randomly, like I was holding on to a microphone, and cut the ends - it came out pretty good. Years ago I tried to look up "cutting own hair" online so I could try it again and hardly found anything. Yesterday I started thinking about it again and Goggled "how to cut own hair in long layers" which is what I wanted. I found tons of YouTube videos and ended up following this one.

Update: Video has been deleted. I found a picture tutorial of pretty much the same technique.


Here are the before and after shots.


I don't like the 'V' cut, so I just cut it straight across. I took off an inch at first, then after blow drying a little and seeing it, it took off another 1/2 inch. I then took the scissor and made small vertical cuts in the ends. The front didn't need anything, so I just did the ends. I think it came out pretty good. Not bad for a home job huh? What do you think?


Comments or questions are always welcomed. I would love to hear what you think of this post or any of my other posts. Thanks!

No comments: