Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Awesome Dinner



Just made an awesome dinner. It's called Greek Meatza with Creamy Feta Kalamata Olives and Red Onions I took it and put my own spin on it. It's basically a pizza with ground beef crust and it is sooo good. I made the "crust" same as the recipe, except I used fresh oregano.


Before cooking


When I first spread the meat in the pan, I thought it was too much. I initially was going to use only 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef thinking it was going to more than I wanted, but it shrinks by about two inches on each side - pretty cool to see the transformation. Spreading it thin does help it to cook fast - 12 minutes is how long I cooked mine.

For the "topping", I took two roma tomatoes, sprinkled garlic and parsley with a coating of olive oil, and roasted the slices at 425 degrees for 20 minutes and set aside to cool. I used regular sweet onions instead of red - I sliced them thin and sauteed them with some regular shrooms till they were carmelized then put them in a bowl to cool. I bought kalamata and green olives - some of the greens were stuffed with gorgonzola blue cheese - I cut them in half. You can use regular black olives, but the kalamata and the green's saltiness adds great flavor. I also bought two 3.5 ounce tubs of feta cheese.




I took the tomatoes and cut them up and put them in bowl with onions and shrooms. I added 1 tub of feta cheese and mixed thoroughly. In the meantime, the "crust" is baking in the oven. After baking, I scraped off the guck and poured off the excess grease. I topped the meatza with all the wonderful toppings and broiled as instructed.



I made a simple green salad to go with our dinner and it was very tasty. This will be a repeated recipe in my house and either using Mark's recipe or my spin off, I believe you too will love this recipe.

Enjoy!







No comments: